2019 U.S. Open Cider Championship Medal Winners & Grand National Champion
In the sixth annual U.S. Open Cider Championship, cideries, wineries and breweries from Hawaii to Iceland entered over 300 ciders representing 24 different styles. The final round of judging was held in Buffalo, New York, and the judges were from Niagara College Teaching Winery, Niagara College Teaching Brewery and cideries in the Niagara area. Judging in the U.S. Open Cider Championships is blind, and the judges do not know what ciders they were tasting.
Glacial Till Vineyard & Winery from Palmyra, Nebraska was named Grand National Champion for winning three gold medals. Their gold medals were for their Original Cider, Passion Pineapple Cider and Hibiscus Ginger Cider.
Heritage Estate Winery and Cidery from Barrie, Ontario placed second while Ciderboys from Stevens Point, Wisconsin and Niagara College Teaching Cidery tied for third. No cidery dominated the judging as 19 different cideries won Gold medals in 24 categories and 53 cideries won medals.
Top 10 Most Creative Cider Names
The judges also named a “Judges Award” for the top ten “Most Creative Names.” Among the favorites:
1. Pedaler’s Road Rash Strawberry Hard Cider – Quantum Leap Winery
2. Dead & Berried Cider – Brewdog Brewing
3. Easy Breezy Cider – Courthouse Creek Cider
4. It’s A Barnyard Singalong – Wicked Barley Brewing
5. Apple Pie a la Mode Hard Cider – Turquoise Barn Cider
6. The Grasshopper – Cellar Door Cider
7. Johnny Be Good Cider – Contoocook Cider Company
8. Drunk in Love Cider – Dingo Dog Brewing
9. Hollow Jack’d Cider – 2 Towns Ciderhouse
10. Peach Better Have My Honey Cider – Niagara College Teaching Cidery